USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chapels and Churches

Many American servicemen choose to attend worship services at on-base facilities, as well as in churches and synagogues in surrounding areas. This section of "Taiwan Report" discusses religious services that were available in the Taipei area during the 1970s.

Some of you were familiar with St. Christopher's on Chung Shan North Road near the compound. According to this website, the church's congregation is now mostly Filipino. Wikipedia has a very interesting article about the whole Zhongshan District of Taipei, including St. Christopher's.

2 comments:

justme said...

i was confirmed in St. Christopher's although we attended Mass at a church in Tien mou run by a Franciscan priest. The article as with everything about this site is really fascinating. I remember being on the road when Chiang's motorcade would go by and we would try and do anything to get ppl's attention away from the severity of the moment. pretty childish! I had a cpl of intvw's on different occasions with the secret police (the one's in the black gestapo type uniforms)

Unknown said...

Saint Christopher's looks the same inside as the picture now except there is a new cross. I had just joined the navy in Feb. 1979 so I was never here when the military was still stationed here. I met my wife at Saint Christopher's 3 years ago and in a couple of months our baby will be baptized there. There are still Americans and Canadians attending but it is mostly a Philippine congregation now. Great sense of community and activities. It's still painted Air Force blue inside. My dad spent 25 years in the Air Force and every time I go there it makes me think of the chapels on base. They did add on to the church.