USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Taipei Area Sports Car Club (TASCC)

First of all, I apologize for the long dry spell here. I've been preoccupied with a family medical situation and just haven't been able to focus on much else until now. Thanks for your patience.

I received a note from Jim Sartor regarding the Taipei Area Sports Car Club:
Going thru some old pix of Taipei and remembered that in 71 or so a group of us got together and started the Taipei Area Sports Car Club. We used to run road rallies in and around Taipei and the outskirts and on many Sundays, ran slaloms on a dirt lot just outside Shu Linkou.
We had a ton of fun with our toys. I REALLY remember one dark night, while on a rally outside of Taipei, I hit one of those stray turkeys at about 80 miles an hour. Tore the front spoiler off my 240Z and made turkey hash out of the turkey. Took me 2 days to get the turkey off the bottom of my car!!!
Wondered if anyone else remembers TASCC?
When I was there in 1973-74, John Cranford -- one of my office mates -- was a member of this group. He also drove a 240Z (dark brown or maroon, I think). One Sunday he talked me into riding with him to a slalom event. I have a short 8MM film clip somewhere of the event, but about all it shows is the mountain of dust created by the tight turns of the participants' cars.

But my clearest memory of that day is the terror I experienced as he gleefully disregarded every traffic law in Taiwan on our way to and from the event. Somehow he managed not to kill anyone, including me.

No comments: